Can you hear people speaking, but you can not quite understand what they're saying? Can you hear the television or radio only if you crank it up so loud your family members complain? If so, you probably should get a hearing test.

Audio loss affects approximately 28 million people in the world today. There are many reasons why this number is so high. Some have simply lost this sense because they're growing older but others have lost it due to high frequency work environments or music. There are other reasons but these are the most common. Whatever the reason, it's not pleasant.

But, there's good news!

A hearing test can help your audiologist determine how he can help you achieve some of your hearing so you can function better. There are mechanical aids or amplifiers, which can be of great benefit.

But although you are resisting even admitting you're having a problem. If so, here are some other things that could help you accept your condition:

1. Does everyone around you mumble or speak too fast?
2. Is it hard to hear when you're in a restaurant or there's some other form of noise in the background?
3. Are you a mouth watcher trying to make out the words people are saying?
4. How many times do you need to ask people to repeat themselves?
5. How is it when you use the telephone?

Again, if you're experiencing any of the above situations, you need to make an appointment with an audiologist pronto.

Let's look at a few of the major issues with hearing loss. Statistically, it's “second only to arthritis as the most common complaint of older adults”. Unfortunately, it can only be improved with surgery or any other medical procedure in about 5%. Again, the good news is for the remaining 95%, they can most likely be successfully assisted with a hearing aid.

It's amazing to think that only about 15% of all doctors even have their patients obtain a hearing test. It's usually not part of a regular yearly physical examination, but it should be. Having this sense eliminated can really wreak havoc on your health in many ways.

Many hospitals nowdays perform an automatic hearing test on all newborns. This is wonderful news because a child can be challenged in school by even just a small amount of loss.

If you are still working, then you already know how much more difficult it is to work in an environment where you can not hear properly. It's been proven as well, you earn the better you can hear.

If you are struggling to understand your loved ones and friends, would not you want that to change? It can change. First, by having a hearing test and then by listening to your audiologist's suggestions how to improve your auditory sense. By using a hearing aid, you'll get back into the game of life once more and that can only bring happiness and success.